A nest to record memories
A nest to share and learn
A nest to laugh and be inspired

It is simply a nest for a heart

Thursday, November 1, 2007

Hiding behind the beauty, part 2

Another picture by Iman Burhanuddin. The river runs through in the backyard of my rental premise in Mamuju. People turn this place into a picnic area, where they can bring food to share or just sitting quietly and enjoying the scenary. Some people even swim in this river, especially little children. They usually swim after school with a group of friends. Some of them are as young as five years old, or even younger. It is such a delight to see children's faces. Laughing freely, splashing water to their friends, jumping from the rocks above. They show no fear....But, do you know what's hiding under this seemingly calm water? Crocodiles......According to people who has been living here almost all their life, there's always a case where a child gone missing in this river, at least once a year. So, those who has fear are the parents...for children?? Neee........crocodiles can not and will not stop them from having a wonderful childhood.....

(PS. I wish I could go back to Waru'e..a very kampung area in my home village, Pattiro Bajo, Bone, where I usually swam with my sisters...soaking our feet in the clean, flowing water, sitting on the rock in the middle of the river, and ate mango with salt and chilli while swimming...But those days are gone. I was told that the river is ruined now. The water is already polluted, no more gravel and rocks...I wonder, where else can I bring my two children to experience swimming in the real river??? Up to now, at the age of almost 10 and 11, they haven't felt the river....yet....)

No comments: